Thursday, July 25, 2013

"Toto, I Don't Think We Are in Kansas Anymore!" Moab Day #2

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Quote of the day by yours truly... "Are we on the Chicken Fingers trail yet?"  After howls of laughter and a couple of fast food drive-thru jokes from the testosterone members of my family, I was corrected.  "Mom, it's Chicken Corners, and can I have some fries with that?"  I quickly realized how accurate that name would be!  Chicken Corners is a jeep trail among the canyons outside of Moab, with some twists and turns that would turn even the fearless of folks into a chicken!  Sometimes you just gotta close your eyes, say a prayer and keep swimming!  Strangely, at times I was reminded of the guy who walked the tight rope across the Grand Canyon, even repeating his prayers a few times and very thankful a whole nation of TV views were not waiting for us to fall!
All of that quickly forgotten when I opened my eyes to some of the most beautiful sculptures of art ever created!!!  God sure knew what he was doing!  I have created a slideshow to give you a taste of the beauty we tried to capture behind the camera lens.  Music credit goes to The Henningsens because these sights are truly "American Beautiful"!








Pieces of Native American heritage can be found all over Moab in the form of drawings called petroglyphs.  Here are a few that we found along our route today.  I have used these in my classroom before when I teach our Native American unit, but I am excited to add these to my collection!









After a short break back at the RV, we took a drive through Arches National Park.  Since we had visited this park before, we chose our favorite sights to see before we ran out of daylight.



















To finish our night and feed our now very hungry stomachs, we ate at a restaurant called Sunset Grill.  The Sunset Grill is located on a cliff overlooking the city of Moab.  There is a very interesting story behind this restaurant.  It was build by a gentleman by the name of Charlie Steen.  He discovered uranium in Moab in the 50s and this was his home.  Here is the link for more information.


While we were there admiring the night lights of Moab, we noticed fireworks!  Our waiter explained that today was a holiday for Utah called Pioneer Day and that they were celebrating the achievements of the pioneers of the past. Being the teacher that I am, I googled Pioneer Day and found out some interesting facts about a holiday I never knew exsisted!  Happy Pioneer Day to all!





Next Stop:  Zion National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment