Monday, July 22, 2013

Rockin' the Rockies

"Welcome to Denver where the local time is 7:09am" the flight attendant announced as our plane touched down at Denver International. We had the whole day ahead of us.  We even gained an extra hour! Not much longer and Tanner and I would be reunited with the other half of our family, Mike and Dayton.  Our vacation was just beginning, but Mike and Dayton were already a week into theirs.  They had driven the RV out a week ago, along with Phillip Jacob and his son Michael, to experience the Rockies first hand, on dirt bikes. Tanner and I stayed back so that I could finish my week of leading bootcamp and Tanner could participate in Nationals for his traveling basketball team.
First stop, breakfast! After breakfast, we headed to the RV to unpack. By a strange coincidence, Mike and Dayton chose to stay in the same RV park in Aurora, Colorado that we stayed at 3 years ago when our generator quit on our very first RV trip!  Oh, the memories!
If you are thinking"Aurora, Colorado, hasn't that town been in the news lately?" You would be right.  In fact, last night, Dayton and Mike decided to go to a movie close to where the RV was parked.  Unbeknownst to them, they had just purchased their tickets in the very theater of the Batman shootings that occurred one year ago.  As they realized where they were actually at, they were very moved and shaken up, that out of all the theaters in the Denver area, that was the one the Garmin chose.  This morning, it seemed all the more real as I paid my respects at the make shift memorial across the street from the theater. I said a prayer for each and every person who lost their lives plus for their families that continue to live the nightmare of that tragic evening.



It was soon time to "head for the hills"!  One of my all-time favorite things to do is drive through the Rockies west of Denver.  Dayton and I hopped in the jeep and drove it separately to take a load off the RV as it climbed the steep grades.  Blue skies and mountains (some snow-capped) all around!  What a wonderful way to enjoy the beauty of our Creator!

             

Sensing the RV might need a little break, and knowing there were some great little shops in Idaho Springs, we decided to stop for a little break! (Ok, so maybe I was the only one thinking of the shops, but what's a girl to do when surrounded by so much testosterone?)  Mike and the boys decided to revisit the buffalo burgers they enjoyed a few years back.  I, on the other hand, headed straight for the shopping.  I have decided to use a Western theme in my classroom this year, so I was excited to look for ideas and items to use in my room.  At one point, I found myself walking along creaky wooden floors, the sound of country music playing in the background,  the smell of leather, and western motif all around.  Life was perfect at that moment! As we headed out of Idaho Springs, Tanner as my chauffeur, we began singing "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh at the top of our lungs! At that moment, my heart was full!
Next:  Moab, Utah or bust!


Idaho Springs, Colorado
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment